Thursday, March 19, 2015

Laugh Instead of Cry

I haven't written in a while, I've been going through a lot of changes in my life, outside of having Lyme Disease.  Life is like a play right now, I'm on stage, but also watching myself as an audience member.  It's like I'm bringing life to the character I've spent months studying, and the play just repeats itself, daily, weekly, monthly.

I am certainly realizing the complexity of this illness and the extent to which it effects my brain and body. Going into treatment, I was naive, and I find myself struggling to come to terms with the fact that I am unable to do the things I once did, so easily.  It's super hard for me to admit, but some days it's exhausting to go to the grocery store, cook dinner for myself, run around to pharmacies, picking up prescriptions, and work a four hour shift. There is little, to no energy for much physical activity, which is devastating to me. There are some good days thrown in the mix, energetic ones, you may find me outdoors walking, out with friends, or writing.

With so many challenges on a day to day basis, how do Lyme sufferers manage to move forward?   We continue to push to the next day, with anticipation of having a better one than the day before.  We look at our small improvements and have hope that large ones are right around the corner.  I have so far, relied on the knowledge that I am not alone in this fight, and the positive energy from others to help me get through my days.  Fellow lymies, who have reached out to offer suggestions and answers to my questions have been beyond helpful.   We suffer so much physical and emotional pain, even the people closest to us have no idea what is going on, despite our efforts of explaining.  There are no words to describe what it's like to speak with someone who is going through Lyme Disease and treatment.  They understand, not just the physical symptoms but the complete helplessness and desperation we feel regarding this illness.  We are fighting a battle with doctors, the government, the CDC, insurance companies, and our own bodies every single day.  We want nothing more than to be healthy and feel better, but we have next to nobody helping us.

Today, I picked up ten injections of Bicillin, a prescription at the pharmacy that I paid $949 dollars for, WITH a pharmacy discount.   When the pharmacist told me the price, I laughed and kept laughing.  The way a person laughs when they are in the middle of a work out and things begin to get really challenging.  If laughter didn't come out it would have been tears, this disease gets no help.  I will most likely be doing these injections 2x a week for more than a few months.  You do the math. This frustration eats away the positive I need to get better.  How does one remain hopeful when you feel like you are snowboarding on a mountain with no snow?  Oh, and you know where those injections are going, right into the muscle baby.

Leaning on others, perhaps?  Friends are very helpful right now, the people who have stood by me through all of this.  The ones who try to understand the scope of this illness, will forever have a huge chunk of my heart.  The friends who have reached out, cooked dinner for me, offered me their home, donations, ears, time, and love. These people mean the world to me and I could not do any of this without you.   I'm lucky to have amazing co-workers who surround me with their positive energy all day.  The owner and friend, of the company I work for, allows me whatever hours I need and my co-workers step in, when I can't physically work all the hours I set out to.  I'm happy to have each and every one of you in my life right now, in whatever way you are helping me out, it means the world to me!

This illness has a way of making me feel so small in the universe, I mean, I already stand at just 5'0".  ;)

All I can really do is take my anger and frustration, laugh instead of cry, and use it to try to spread awareness, so people like myself can get the appropriate treatment in order to get well.  In the process, I can hopefully help people better understand Lyme Disease.

There has been a Lyme Disease Challenge going around the internet in order to raise awareness for Lyme and gain research funds.  Below is the link of my video taking a bite out of Lyme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWISfETWpiI

Thanks guys!

Here is my updated treatment video #3  This discusses my current protocol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqsDuJd2_jU

If you still do not understand why people like myself have to pay out of pocket to get better, watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuT7STb5lUs&t=81

If you'd like to help me pay for some Bicillin shots!  Here is the link to do so.
http://www.gofundme.com/BeckyBeatsLlyme


Thank You, Thank You
-Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment